How do I give?
Online – click on the “Give Now” button on this page or go to umaine.edu/give. Donors may complete the online gift form to make donations using credit card information (credit card charge).
Donors may complete the online gift form to make a donation by charging a credit card.
By Mail – mail donations to:
What types of gifts are accepted by the University?
- Coin – All American Coins and Foreign Coins valued at less than $1.00.
- Cash – All American and All Foreign
- Check – All American and All Foreign (To “UMaine Foundation” or “University of Maine Foundation”)
- Money Order – All American and All Foreign (To “UMaine Foundation” or “University of Maine Foundation”)
- Credit Card – Visa, MasterCard, AmericanExpress, and Discover. Use the online giving website to complete these transactions.
- Gift-in-Kind – Non-cash donations of materials or long-lived assets that are directly related to the mission of the university or are convertible to cash in support of the university’s mission. This includes equipment, software, food, vehicles, collections of art, books, etc. 
Exception: The value of a person’s or organization’s time or service is not considered a charitable contribution, regardless of whether the individual assists as a volunteer or as a professional providing a specialized service (e.g., accounting, legal work, consulting or printing). 
Note: Because federal guidelines regarding gift-in-kind donations are complex, please contact Gift Processing when such donations are considered or initiated.
- Stock – The donor or broker should contact Gift Processing for account information.
- IRA Contributions – The donor or broker should contact Gift Processing for account information.
- Wire Transfers – The donor or broker should contact Gift Processing for account information.
- Matching Gift – Donations made by a company that matches gifts donated by individuals (usually employees or retirees). Donors must initiate the process to have their Matching Gift Companies match their donations. Only Gift Processing is authorized to complete the Matching Gift Form and verify matchable donations.
- Volunteer Program Donations – Donations made by a company that makes donations based on an individual’s volunteered hours. Donors must initiate the process to have their Volunteer Program Companies make donations based on their work. Only Gift Processing is authorized to complete the Volunteer Program Paperwork and verify eligible matching.
Can donations be made in memory or in honor of someone?
Yes. The university accepts memorial and honorary donations.
Donations should be sent directly from the donor to:
University of Maine Foundation
Buchanan Alumni House
Two Alumni Place
Orono, ME 04469-5792
A note on or accompanying the check stating “in memory of” or “in honor of” and the person’s name is enough to indicate that the donation is a memorial or honorary donation. Memorial and honorary donations may also be made using the university’s online giving website at umaine.edu/give. A field is provided to indicate the name of the person to be memorialized or honored.
The University of Maine Foundation is responsible for sending notices of all memorial and honorary donations. These notifications include the donors’ names, their mailing addresses, and the allocation in which each memorial or honorary donation was made. Because of privacy standards, donation values are never disclosed in these notifications.
If you are interested in suggesting memorial or honorary donations to benefit the University of Maine in an obituary or posting, please contact Gift Processing.
3 IRS Pub. 526, CASE Reporting Standards and Management Guidelines, 4th edition
4 IRS Pub. 526, CASE Reporting Standards and Management Guidelines, 4th edition