We invite you to consider the important mutual benefits of membership in the Charles F. Allen Society, a select group of alumni and friends of the University of Maine.
The Charles F. Allen Society, named for the University of Maine’s first President, was established in 1995 to recognize and honor alumni and friends who intend to remember the University of Maine or its affiliated organizations by making a bequest or other form of
This is a unique opportunity for you to gain the personal satisfaction of making an investment in human potential. Individuals who made the choice to benefit future generations of students have made some of the University of Maine’s finest achievements possible. Every gift strengthens the University as it carries out its mission of teaching, research, and public service. The University of Maine is deeply grateful for such support, and membership in the Charles F. Allen Legacy Society provides one way for the University to show its gratitude.
If you let us know that you have provided for the University of Maine or its affiliated organizations in your will, trust, pooled life income fund, life insurance policy, gift annuity or retirement fund, you immediately become a full member of the Society. Your gift need not be irrevocable and we understand that situations change. It is your current expression of commitment to the University that is important.
Charles F. Allen Legacy Society members receive a membership certificate recognizing their intentions and a lapel pin. Members are listed in the Society’s Annual Report and are honored at a special event on campus periodically.
- Bequest–A provision is made in the will for a charitable gift to benefit the University. (Sample language is available here).
- Charitable Remainder Trust–A trust is established to provide the donor (or other beneficiaries) an income for life or for a specified term, with the remainder interest to benefit the University.
- Charitable Gift Annuity–A gift is made in exchange for a lifetime annuity contract with the donor (or other named beneficiaries) with the remainder interest to benefit the University.
- Pooled Life Income Fund–A gift is made to the University of Maine Foundation’s pooled life income fund to provide income for the life of the donor (or other named beneficiaries), with the remainder interest to benefit the University.
- Life Insurance–A policy can be gifted by naming the University of Maine Foundation, the University of Maine, the University of Maine Alumni Association, the Pulp and Paper Foundation or the Pine Tree State 4-H Foundation as owner and beneficiary.
- Real Estate–A bequest of a residence, forest land, farm or a remainder interest in real property is made to benefit the University.
RetirementFund–The University of Maine Foundation, the University of Maine, the University of Maine Alumni Association, the Pulp and Paper Foundation or the Pine Tree State 4-H Foundation can be designated as a beneficiary of a retirement account.
To learn more about the advantages of these types of gifts, please contact us.
University of Maine
Pine Tree State 4-H Foundation
University of Maine Foundation
University of Maine Alumni Association
University of Maine Pulp and Paper Foundation